Wednesday, May 28

Sound Set 2008

My sister sat me down on Monday and gave me a lecture about how I need to start dating nice guys. I know I should, but I have found nice guys in the past, well, a little boring. "You have a problem," she told me.

I found myself at Sound Set on Sunday, feeling the same way about Minneapolis hip hop as I do nice guys. I know I should like it - I really know I should like it, but our local genre’s expressive feelings irritate me. It is super uncool of me, but I just don't want a man to be sensitive in hip hop.

It's the bravado, theatrics, confidence and swagger I love most about rap, and I suppose its glimmer of danger. My sister will tell you the qualities I find myself attracted to in men are the same, and start exciting and end destructively. What I haven’t wrapped my head around yet, is why misogyny and violence are integral to my favorite songs and why –aholic has become such a familiar suffix. I do have a problem.

Her advice was to practice dating nice guys, by going out with nice guys - that perhaps through the act of getting to know them, I'll find someone who likes himself, has a job, calls his mother (not too much, just enough), and is fun to hang around with. "Ok," I promised her, "I'll give it a shot."

Likewise, I am going to start practicing listening to local, sensitive rappers. Hey, nice guy, burn me some Atmosphere and Brother Ali – will you?

I don't know if this is going to work.

2 comments:

jon jon said...

word/yo....

Unknown said...

I think you should date jon jon.
Anyway, for a seemingly very self-aware girl, there is a decided lack of self-control when it comes to doing what you know is "right".
It's the opposite problem I posess.
I've always been rather self-aware, and it cripples me from doing stupid things that would be very enjoyable. And, I regret that. So, maybe what I'm getting at is that you should continue to follow your ID. You're in your 20s. Get it out of your system. Listen to mysoginistic hip hop... Because you won't be playing it when you're 35 and your daughter is in the car with you.
And give jon jon a call.